Gold Cup Semifinals

Friday, July 31, 2015

July 22nd Georgia Dome
USA vs Jamaica 
Mexico vs Panama

Soccer is blowing up in America, since our impressive showing at the FIFA World Cup last year and the women's team winning the World Cup last month, Americans are loving soccer more than ever. I myself have recently gotten into soccer as well. I played once a long time ago and my brother played for years for both our school and rec leagues. Dylan really wanted to go to the Gold Cup since USA was playing and I have never been to a professional game before so I was in! 
Attending a soccer game is literally like nothing I had ever experienced. I love football and I thought their fans get into it, but soccer fans are on a whole different level. Our seats were way up high, as you can see, but you could see the action perfectly fine. We did lose to Jamaica sadly, my brother had a lot to say about our goalie, but it was still a great game. 
There was about an hour between the two games so we walked around the stadium some. Dylan really wanted a scarf, but just abut everywhere was already sold out of the one he wanted. I will say my only complaint about the stadium was that you couldn't walk all the way around on the bottom floor so we had to keep going all the way back up to walk to the different sections of the stadium and then walk all the way back down to check out the merchandise stores. 
We stayed for the Mexico game too because we knew it would be good and it did not disappoint. One guy got a ejected and it took them like 5 minutes to get him to leave the field. Also, I hate to say this, but Mexican fans are so much better than American fans. Obviously soccer is like an institution there, but they were so hyped and into the game. Their chants were amazing and they were so loud! We left about ten minutes into the second half so we could beat the crowds to MARTA and as we left Panama scored. On the train we found out that Mexico ended up winning in some crazy overtime penalty kicks or something. The place probably went nuts.
I had a great time and I'm so excited for the Atlanta United team we're getting in a few years! I would love to see some British Premier League games in person one day. People just love soccer so much and it makes me want to love soccer. I'm really excited that the sport is taking off here and finally getting the recognition it deserves!

xx Kristen 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!