5 Seconds of Summer - ROWYSO

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Kim came back to visit one more time before she flew away to Denver for the 5SOS concert at Aaron’s Amphitheater. I had seen the band open for One Direction almost a year ago and they had just released their new single She’s Kinda Hot. We were pretty pumped for the concert.

I first heard 5SOS on the radio when their single She Looks So Perfect came out. I instantly loved it and went to iTunes to listen to more of their stuff. When I read in their description that they took a lot of musical inspiration from All Time Low, I was sold. Since they’re an Australian band, they actually hadn’t released an album in America yet, so I had to settle for ripping their YouTube videos until their album came out.
We got a couple of lawn seats and weren’t really sure what to expect. We were probably some of the oldest people there that weren’t somebody’s parents. I can’t even explain some of the outfits we saw sitting out there. There were so many children in crop tops and just a sea of converse shoes. That’s the fan base this band has, but we’re sitting there too so who are we to judge.

The opening band was some group called Hey Violet that 5SOS had signed to their record label. They were pretty good; I didn’t know any of the songs though. In the time leading up to the boys coming on stage, girls near the front would just start randomly screaming, only for us to find out they started playing a music video...
The concert itself exceeded my expectations. We’re pretty big fans of the boys and their music, but seeing them live were such a great experience! They interact with the crowd so much, which I love! A lot of bigger bands forget to do that, they get into a routine and it’s just the same show, different location. You could really tell 5SOS love their fans and want each show to be its own special experience. I love how into their own music these guys are. You can see how much they love what they’re doing.
The person who impressed me the most was Michael, I’ve never really given him much thought one way or the other, but he has so much talent. His guitar skills blew my mind and he sang a lot more than I thought he did. He sounded amazing. All of the guys put on a really great show. The crowd would go crazy every chance they got, and Kim and I were right their screaming along with them. There were a few songs we didn’t know, but they actually have so many songs for only having released one album. Every time they release a single, they release an EP and it usually has extra songs on it. I’ve never seen a band release so many EPs.
This concert was seriously so much fun. Kim and I had the best time jumping up and down, singing and laughing along with 5 Seconds of Summer. They put on a great show that blew my expectations out of the water. I’m excited for their new album that comes out in a few months. If their single is any indication of the direction they’re heading, they have a bright future ahead of them. I can’t wait to watch them grow and mature as artists and hopefully see them live again.

xx Kristen
She’s Kinda Hot – 5SOS
She Looks So Perfect – 5SOS
Amnesia – 5SOS
End Up Here – 5SOS
Don’t Stop – 5SOS

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!