Dawes Concert

Sunday, January 10, 2016

December 11, 2015
Variety Playhouse


My friend Ashley won tickets to see Dawes from an Instagrm contest with Yeah! Burger and asked me to go with her. I had no idea who Dawes was, but I love music and Ashley said she liked their songs and I trust her taste in music. I had also never been to VarietyPlayhouse before so I was pretty excited.

We ate dinner before at TheVortex in Little Five Points. They’re known for their burgers and I had never been. I must say, it was pretty amazing. The atmosphere is super cool too; everything in Little Five just makes you feel like a super hipster basically. After some quality burgers, a pitcher of beer and some quality conversation we took a short walk to Variety Playhouse.
Ashley was so VIP, they had her name on a list. The venue was pretty cool, there was an upstairs that had a balcony with seats and then the entire area in front of the stage was set up as a standing room pit and then a bunch of rows of seats and then the sides were flanked by some tiered platforms. We stood to the right on one of the platforms and had a pretty great view. Also, this place was packed! Dawes drew a huge crowd, which made me excited to hear them play.

We got there just as the opening band was finishing up their set. From what I heard they sounded great too, there were so many people in the band! They had so many instruments going at once, but it worked and the singers were talented.
So it turns out I do know one Dawes song, it’s called Things Happen. It’s a really good song and they ended up playing it first so I think it really hyped the crowd up. I want to take a minute to say that all the band members weirdly slightly resembled other famous people. Ashley and I kept pointing it out and once you saw it you couldn’t unsee it. So that was the only song I knew, but they put on an amazing show. They sounded great and had a lot of energy so it was an entertaining performance.
They ended with a song called All Your Favorite Bands and I seriously fell in love with it. This is why you should always say yes to concerts even if you don’t know the band. There is so much amazing music out there and sometimes you just have to let it find you. 

So thanks Ashley for inviting me and thanks Yeah! Burger for the free tickets!

xx Kristen

Things Happen – Dawes

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!